Location: Northern/Western Europe
Time zone: GMT/UTC plus 2 hours
Daylight savings time: during northern hemisphere summer
Current time: 03:53
Dialling code: +358
Internet suffix: .fi
Finland is a well-developed Northern European country known for its distinctive culture, history and extensive social welfare programmes.
For further analysis and information on the autonomous region of the Åland Islands please click here.
Overall security situation: secure
Crime rate: extremely low
Murder rate: very low
Gun ownership levels: very high
Kidnapping hotspot: no
Maritime piracy hotspot: no
Do landmines/unexploded munitions pose a significant risk in parts of the country: no
Finland is one of the safest and most secure countries in the world. While the guns-per-capita ratio is very high by global standards, the crime rate is one of the lowest.
Police coverage is good and the judicial system is well-resourced and highly respected. Institutions are extremely resilient with extensive resources, capabilities and an established track record.
The population has some of the highest levels of socio-economic development in the world. Political demonstrations are usually infrequent and if they occur they are mostly peaceful, orderly and professionally managed.
Overall there is a low risk posed by terrorism, but incidents have nonetheless taken place in recent years. The risk is thought to be far less than in parts of Western Europe but it is not non-existent.
Aviation safety levels: standard
Annual road fatality rates: low
Vehicles drive on the: right
Infrastructure quality: excellent
Urban ATM availability: moderate
Electricity supply: 230V 50Hz
Electricity supply reliability: consistent
Plug types: C and F
Plug type C (2 round pins, not grounded/earthed)
Plug type F (2 round pins, grounded/earthed, socket compatible with plug types C and E)
Is tap water drinkable: yes
Healthcare quality: among the best healthcare provision in the world
Infectious disease prevalence: extremely low
Travellers should consult a medical practitioner prior to their trip but the following vaccines may be considered before travelling to the country, depending on factors such as specific destination, planned activities, intended time and length of stay as well as personal medical conditions (in some cases no additional vaccines may be required at all):
- Tick-borne encephalitis (usually only for those spending time in at-risk forested areas)
- Standard vaccinations (ie those commonly used in the developed world, such as diphtheria, measles, mumps, polio, rubella, tuberculosis and tetanus)
Malaria risk: none
Yellow fever presence: no
Dengue fever prevalence: rare/non-existent
Rabies prevalence: rare/non-existent
HIV prevalence in society: low
Hepatitis A prevalence: low
Hepatitis B prevalence: low
Hepatitis E prevalence: not highly endemic
Cholera status: low risk
Chikungunya virus presence: not present
Zika virus presence: not recently reported
Japanese encephalitis presence: no
Cutaneous leishmaniasis presence: non-endemic
Visceral leishmaniasis presence: non-endemic
Onchocerciasis presence: non-endemic
Schistosomiasis presence: none
Tick-borne encephalitis status: high risk in some areas
Chagas disease presence: none
Typhoid fever presence: sporadic
African trypanosomiasis presence: none
Plague status: not thought to be present
Rift Valley fever status: not present
Lassa fever status: not present
Polio status: not endemic
Ebola outbreaks: no
Meningococcal meningitis hotspot: no
Climate: cold temperate; potentially subarctic but comparatively mild because of moderating influence of the North Atlantic Current, Baltic Sea, and more than 60,000 lakes
Terrain: mostly low, flat to rolling plains interspersed with lakes and low hills
Natural disaster risk: very low
Natural hazards: extreme temperatures, storms, flooding
Tropical storms: few/none
Volcanic activity: low/none
Previous earthquake(s) with over 1,000 fatalities: no
Government type: republic
Socio-economic development score: 10/10 (among the highest levels of socio-economic development in the world)
Adult literacy rate: 100%
Unemployment rate: moderately low
Civil liberties: well respected
Investment rating: investment grade
Corruption levels: low
Same-sex sexual activity: legal
Death penalty: abolished
Languages: Finnish (official) 89%, Swedish (official) 5.3%, Russian 1.3%, other 4.4%
Ethnic groups: Finn 93.4%, Swede 5.6%, Russian 0.5%, Estonian 0.3%, Roma (Gypsy) 0.1%, Sami 0.1%
Beliefs: Lutheran 78.4%, Orthodox 1.1%, other Christian 1.1%, other 0.2%, none 19.2%
- The following advice has been compiled by travel safety specialists and ex-special forces personnel.
- However, please note that it is of a general nature only and may not reflect the reality of your circumstances.
- Ensure you have proper insurance cover in place.
- Be mindful of local laws and cultural norms, bearing in mind that they might be different to what you are accustomed to.
Safe country guidelines
- Even in relatively safe parts of the world, accidents, illnesses and other incidents can still affect traveller safety.
- Make sure you know how to find help if you need it (such as the local emergency service numbers).
- There may still be a risk of opportunistic crime so be mindful of your belongings and take responsibility for your own actions.
- If rainfall, flooding, extreme temperatures or other types of severe weather are a concern, check the local weather patterns to find out if there are times of the year where the risk is much higher.
- Consider avoiding travel to at-risk destinations during these times.
- Take appropriate clothing and footwear.
- Take appropriate protection for any sensitive equipment you wish to bring.
- Although it is less common in Finland, note that storms, flooding and other types of harsh weather can overload infrastructure, lead to traffic jams and power cuts.
- As such, be prepared to delay, alter or even cancel travel plans to affected or high-risk areas.
- Starling April Forecast
- Violence, politics and weather to disrupt January travel
- Starling December Forecast
- Global Travel Safety Forecast for January
- The Disaster Vulnerability Index
- Global Travel Safety Forecast for December
- Access our reports
- The Latest Leaderboard
- The 10 safest countries in the world
- Monthly Forecast, August 2017
- Countries with low corruption rates